Thursday 14 April 2016

Campus Humor: From Teacher's & Student's Angle

Friends 'Campus' & 'Buzz' are synonyms isn't it? The academic calendar has Lecture Classes, Assignments, Internal Assessment Tests, Semester Exams and Cultural Fests plus Sports activities. While the students have their own 'Parallel Calendar' running throughout the semester with Class Bunks, First-Day First Shows, Gala Party, Love Affairs so on.....
Enjoyment in campus has no generation barriers. While past generations had their bit of entertainment with Mad-Ads, Comedy-Shows etc. Today's 'Gadget Savvy' generation come out with many Short-Movies uploaded on YouTube and use Apps like Dub-Smash to create neo-entertainment stuff in campus.
It is hard to imagine a single college campus whose students haven't contributed to YouTube Videos. Thus is the craze for'Short-Movie' making on campus issues.


My generation was pre-globalization one! Talking to opposite gender classmate and having intimacy was a big achievement for majority of student crowd. In such an era, A girl wishing you by shaking hands had potential to become NEWS! If you get such an accomplishment, your peers would create 'Hulla-Gulla' in campus, taunting you with quotes like "You will never Wash your Hands, after that intimate Hand shake!"

But Today's Campus has embraced Western outlook seamlessly. Other day I was in campus going for coffee, A bunch of girls were screaming from inside college bus. Another peer of that crew who was heading towards the bus from class, screamed loudly 'Hey, Why are you screaming as if someone is RAPING you?'
whereas for my generation this was really a TABOO issue.

While College fests are meant for merry making by students, Faculty have additional responsibility of policing the crowd to avoid bad incidences. So as a teacher you will play role of POLICE/SECURITY PERSONNEL (sometimes even Walkie-Talkie wireless phones will be given too).

My best memories are of Viva-Voce conducted in Practical examinations. As a student 'Philosopher' within me used to give answer to the questions instead of  'techie' within me. One such incidence is worth mentioning here. It was Microprocessor lab examination, I completed my experiments successfully, Teacher summoned me for Viva-Voce. Her question was Define 'PORT'. The answers I gave wasn't convincing her, she negated all my answers. Finally the Philosopher within me woke up and replied, "Madam, There are certain things in LIFE that doesn't have Answer or solution." The teacher was taken aback she stopped questioning me and concentrated on other mate of me!

I faced the same pinch of salt as a teacher later in my career. A student was caught for having copy-chits in his pockets. That guy coolly replied, "Sir, The trousers isn't mine, in urgency I wore my room-mates pants."

The next incidence was narrated by my friend as TRUE one happened in his class, Faculty was drawing a Four-stroke Engine diagram on board. A paper-engine-less rocket crash landed on the dais. Faculty became angry and started screaming at students. A cool dude from back benches came running with his hand-kerchief and picked up the rocket and murmured "Sir, We will send this to Finger Print Experts."   

Once I was conducting Viva-Voce for 'C' Programming lab. My question to student was 'Define Compiler.' He replied, "Sir, It is BLUE in Color!" His answer was apparently right as TURBO-C Compiler is BLUE in Color!
Friends, don't you agree that Campus means BUZZ & FUN. 

No comments: