Wednesday 4 May 2016

Bangalore Diary: Ugadhi Festival Recall from Memory

UGADHI FESTIVAL WITH EK-DIN KA SULTAN SODARA MAVA
aka
Maternal uncle
 

FROM CHILDHOOD MEMOIRS
Friends, amongst so many SPRING-CELEBRATION aka VASANTHA in AJJI-HOUSE, One UGADHI is deeply embedded in my memory chip.  My cousins might not remember it as special one because they might have had ‘N’- number of such UGADHI with their dad. But the UGADHI I am speaking about is most probably in year 1985-86. My Politician maternal uncle had suddenly BUMPER-LOTTERY-BONANZA-KAMAI in this year and he took me, kavi and giri for shopping and all three had brand NEW-RAYMONDS clothes stitched from a familiar tailor for him. Unlike today, in those days’ politics was not at all regular kamai ki job. I have also witnessed my Aunty (Dodda-Atte) going to her Mother-Home (TAVARU MANE) whenever her Hubby aka my uncle (EK DO DIN KA SULTAN) becomes empty handed for that month! It was my other uncle who was a SALARIED factory employee, used to regularly look after not only my needs but also of Kavitha and Giri in many occasions. This used to be applicable to DEEPAVALI-FESTIVAL-CRACKERS too!

Those days’ politics wasn’t meant to be Bread-winner and ironically for many it is HIGHEST-KAMAI profession in present situations. According to me Globalization and Privatization gave avenues for politicians to explore and make quick-bucks by deals from BOFORS, HUDCO, COAL-GATE and 2G Spectrum. Now SAMAJA-SEVE has become fashion statement rather than PASSION statement. In spite of such EK-DIN-KA-KING situations; today I feel proud about my politician uncle as the SUBRAMANYNAGAR corporation ward which he represented is not listed in LAKE-ENCROACHMENT scam for creating REALTY-SITES and the locality has LUNG-SPACE in form of MILK-COLONY Stadium and Sangolli Rayanna-BRIGADE Park in Subramanynagar for kids and elders instead of high-rise apartments in Govt. lands.          

 

DEBIT-CARD WAS MIRACLE ENTITY THEN

FROM ADULTHOOD MEMOIRS


I was newly married but my Income was just 7000 INR. I didn’t have a DEBIT CARD in my pocket; I didn’t know what a PAN CARD is? As, I was adult without exposure to corporate world married to well-verse corporate girl who was MBA by qualification and corporate employee. The incidence I am narrating next is embarrassing one for me throughout my life; but after reading HULI-MAVINA-MARA like autobiography, I have gained courage to speak-out my heart without hesitation. My outing with wife in those days ki prestigious M.G Road and me having just 50 INR in pocket as I had no idea that we were going out for shopping; put me into such an embarrassing situation as I had no money to pay for her shopping and finally she used her BRAND-NEW-DEBIT-CARD to settle the bill is by any means unforgettable incidence for me. When this MBA girl queried me whether I have permanent account number (PAN) I sheepishly replied— “Ya, I have Savings Account in S.B.I bank where my Salary gets credited” is funny one, I relish it even today with mixed feeling of KULKUVIKE aka embarrassment as Tejaswi Sir tells—“BUS JOURNEY in AGUMBE-THIRTHALLI GHATS leads to KULKUVUIKE of Food and thoughts.”  But after a decade and half; DEBIT-CARD is well known entity for vegetable-vendors to house-wife leave aside an entry level Lecturer in a college isn’t it? Learning happens through exposure to new situations and scenarios isn’t it pals?     


No comments: